Social Services Programs


Virginia Initiative for Employment not Welfare (VIEW)

A program that assists, trains, and prepares TANF recipients for gainful employment.

Back to top

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) and Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (Unemployed Parent- TANF-UP)

Aid is extended to children and their families in King William County who meet income levels of need.

Back to top

Volunteer Services

These services are NOT provided by the agency, however, referrals are made to dedicated groups of volunteers in the community who provide supportive services and a variety of tasks to assist county residents in need. The King William Outreach Program was developed from within the agency seeking to provide better communication and information sharing among volunteer groups and prevent duplication of services.

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

Assistance is available to provide lower income families with resources to purchase food.

see the Frequently Asked Questions page.

Back to top

Child Day Care Services

Subsidies are provided to low income parents for quality child care, parental counseling, and consultations with licensed and certified child care vendors.

Back to top

Medicaid & Auxiliary Grants

Health and medical care costs are paid for individuals meeting specified criteria for covered groups.

Back to top

General Relief

Financial assistance is offered to qualified individuals and families to help with everyday life needs.

Back to top

Emergency Assistance

There are limited funds to provide short term, limited financial assistance to families with children when a fire or other natural disaster has destroyed those things necessary for taking care of the family. Payments can be made for food, clothing, shelter, or the repair or replacement of household items.

Back to top

Foster Care and Adoption

Foster care services offer temporary care for abused, neglected or court ordered children to create family reunification or other forms of permanence for the children. The intent of services is to maintain family unity and ensure that all children have a permanent home. Procedures for interstate placements of children are intended to safeguard children while assuring appropriate responsibility and communication among all parties involved.

Adoption Services are provided for children in the care and custody of the agency who have been legally and permanently separated from their family. Adoptive studies are provided to the court for independent adoptions.

Back to top

Child Protective Services

The Department receives and investigates complaints of abuse and neglect to identify and assess risk to children. Case management, direct social services, and other community based resources are provided, in partnership with families, to preserve and empower them with the skills necessary to adequately care for their children and prevent further maltreatment. Staff are further responsible for completing court-ordered home studies in custody/visitation disagreements between parents, providing a detailed report to the court in order to assist in making appropriate placement decisions.

Back to top

Services Intake

Social workers can provide Emergency Assistance and vital Information and Referral for citizens seeking solutions for various problems, with the help of its community partners.

Back to top

Adult Services/Adult protective Services

The Department investigates complaints of abuse, neglect and exploitation of elderly and incapacitated adults. Staff also provides services to reduce risk and assist adults to remain independent. Screenings for community based care, assisted living and nursing home placement are conducted. To assure appropriate and sufficient care to incapacitated adults, Social Services reviews guardianship reports.

Back to top

Fraud Referrals and Collections

To offset welfare fraud and misuse, the department investigates reports of program violations.


See if you might be eligible at

Applications for help with your heating and cooling bills or equipment needs are accepted online (at, by calling the Enterprise Customer Service Center at (855) 635 – 4370, and at your local department of social services.

Fuel assistance helps with home heating costs; but can also be used for furnace re-starts, late charges, delivery charges, installation charges, and connection or re-connection fees. Applications are accepted online, through the Enterprise Customer Service Center, and at local departments of social services from the second Tuesday in October through the second Friday in November. Benefits are determined and authorizations for deliveries or service are sent to vendors in December.

Crisis assistance is intended to meet a household’s emergency heating need, when no other resource is available.

  • Applications are accepted online, through the Enterprise Customer Service Center, and at local departments of social services from November 1 through March 15 for the following: one time only heat security deposit; portable space heater for temporary use, payment for emergency shelter, and/or heating equipment repair/purchase. Assistance is based on the availability of
  • Applications are accepted online, through the Enterprise Customer Service Center, and at local departments of social services from the first workday in January through March 15 for the purchase of home heating fuel and the payment of heat utility bill. Assistance is based on the availability of

Cooling assistance provides purchase or repair of cooling equipment and/or payment for electricity to operate cooling equipment. To be eligible, a household must contain at least one vulnerable individual who is age 60 or over, disabled, or under age 6. Applications are accepted online, through the Enterprise Customer Service Center, and at local departments of social services from June 15 through August 15. Assistance is based on the availability of funds.

Eligibility criteria for assistance include:

  • Must be resident of the locality in which application is made
  • Must have a heating or cooling expense responsibility
  • Monthly gross income may not exceed:
Household Size Maximum Income   Household Size Maximum Income
1 $1,307   11 $5,835
2 $1,760   12 $6,288
3 $2,213   13 $6,741
4 $2,665   14 $7,194
5 $3,118   15 $7,647
6 $3,571   16 $8,099
7 $4,024   17 $8,552
8 $4,477   18 $9,005
9 $4,930   19 $9,458
10 $5,382   20 $9,911

If you suspect Fraud or Abuse of any kind, report it to your Local Department of Social Services or call 1-800-552-3431.

Back to top